After a multi-year renovation project that was at times tumultuous, the Beach Park Auditorium was officially dedicated this past Wednesday (Jul 11) with a grand party that included historical displays and live music.
The auditorium is the first of the historic buildings to be rehabilitated from the Covenant Beach Bible Camp that occupied the property from 1931 to 1986. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as state, county and city historic registers.
The total cost of the auditorium project was just over $2 million with most of the funds coming from the city’s Capital Improvement Program and the remainder from Washington State and King County grants.
The city celebrated the grand opening with polka music by the Smilin’ Scandinavians and an expansive exhibit of historical photos of the site.
The event included speeches from dignitaries including Mayor Dave Kaplan, King County Executive Dow Constantine, Senator Karen Keiser and Representatives Tina Orwall and Dave Upthegrove and a historical talk by City Councilmember and Historian Carmen Scott.
The ceremony finished up with the traditional ribbon-cutting to declare the newly renovated auditorium officially open.
The 6,000 square foot building is now available to rent for private events. It includes a built in stage and attached 1,200 square foot tiled patio. The auditorium can accomodate up to 525 people.
For more information see the Beach Park Event Center website.
WLB photog Michael Brunk attended the event and shot the following gallery of photos. You can click individual images to view them larger.