The National Weather Service on Tuesday afternoon (Aug. 14) issued an ‘Excessive Heat Watch‘ alert for this Thursday (Aug. 16) and Friday (Aug. 17), warning residents that a “prolonged period of hot temperatures is expected.”
“The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses are possible,” the warning said.
This Friday could be the hottest day of the year, with a high of 95 predicted, so be sure to drink plenty of fluids.
If the city decides to turn on any sprinklers or open a cooling area, we’ll let you know!
Here’s the warning in all its FULL CAPS glory:
Excessive Heat Watch
URGENT – WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
318 PM PDT TUE AUG 14 2012
HOT WEATHER THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.
…EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING…
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH…WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.
* TIMING…THE INTERIOR OF WESTERN WASHINGTON WILL HAVE HIGH TEMPERATURES WELL INTO THE 90S BOTH THURSDAY AND FRIDAY AFTERNOONS.
* TEMPERATURE…HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO REACH THE LOW TO MID 90S BOTH DAYS IN THE SEATTLE AREA…WITH MID TO UPPER 90S POSSIBLE IN SOUTHERN AREAS. NORTHERN AREAS WILL HAVE HIGHS IN THE UPPER 80S TO LOWER 90S.
* IMPACTS…THURSDAY AND FRIDAY ARE LIKELY TO BE AMONG THE HOTTEST DAYS OF THE YEAR.
AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS…STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM…STAY OUT OF THE SUN…AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.
Here’s the full 7-day forecast:
- Tonight Clear, with a low around 60. North northeast wind 6 to 14 mph.
- Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 86. North wind 8 to 10 mph.
Wednesday Night Clear, with a low around 61. North wind 7 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight.
- Thursday Sunny, with a high near 92. East wind around 9 mph.
Thursday Night Clear, with a low around 64. East wind 5 to 8 mph.
- Friday Sunny, with a high near 95.
Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 59.
- Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 79.
Saturday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57.
- Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 76.
Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57.
- Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 79.
Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.
- Tuesday Partly sunny, with a high near 79.