Over 15 Bands Will Play at 5th Annual Highline Classic Jazz Festival March 9
Burien Arts’ Fifth Annual Highline Classic Jazz Festival will be held Saturday, March 9, from 2:30 p.m. – 10 p.m., and will offer a Big Program at its new location, The Landmark Event Center in Des Moines.
”This is going to be one heck of a party,” said Festival Director Lance Haslund.
There will be more music with 15 bands participating in three music venues, and more styles of music including Straight Ahead Jazz classics, early and mid -20thcentury jazz styles, from Dixieland, Gypsy Jazz, Blues, Ragtime to Big Band Swing.
This great jazz experience includes: Concerts, Dancing, Food and Drink, and an opportunity to mingle with the musicians. The bands include:
- The 1st Thursday Band
- Del Rey & Matt Weiner (www.hobemianrecoreds.com)
- Casey MacGill’s Orchestra
- Gail Pettis (www.gailpettis.com)
- Glenn Crytzer & His Syncopators (www.syncopators.net)
- Holotradband (www.holotraband.com)
- The Rhythm Bugs (www.sylviaherold.com)
- Highline/Aviation High School Jazz Band
- Pearl Django (www.pearldjango.com)
- The Greg Ruby Quartet (www.gregrubymusic.com/bands/greg-ruby-quartet)
- The Canote Brothers Band (www.canote.com)
- Swamp Soul (www.swampsoulband.com)
- Ranger and the “Re-Arrangers” (www.rangerswings.com)
- The Alex Guilbert Trio (www.alexguilbert.com)
- Leftover Dreams (www.tuxedorecords.com/LD/index.shtml)
The three music venues allow for more concerts. There will be dancing and comfortable seating in the Auditorium and in the Banquet Hall, and the elegant Living Room will be the site of the new Acoustic Lounge, with small groups in an intimate setting.
A full dinner, at $15.00, will be provided by EJ’s Catering (www.ejscustomcatering.com) and there will be two no-host bars.
Tickets are $40 for adults, $35 for seniors (65), and FREE for youth 18 and under. Tickets are available online at Brown Paper Tickets (www.brownpapertickets.com/event/312461), at 3 Wishes Boutique (929 152nd Ave SW, Burien), or by calling Burien Arts at 206-244-7808.
Check the KPLU Calendar, B-Town Blog and Highline Times for Festival ticket giveaways.
For $150.00 individual sponsors will receive:
- Two tickets to the Festival (Value $80)
- VIP parking – right at the front door of Landmark Event Center (Priceless)
- Three tickets for the Jazz Get-Away Drawings. Each ticket is good for two chances to win a Jazz Get-Away for two to a Coastal Hotel Group destination (Hotel Fifty in Portland or Cedarbrook Lodge in SeaTac), including overnight stay and dinner, PLUS admission to a jazz nightclub, transportation or valet parking, PLUS a basketful of prizes including CDs from the Festival bands, wine, chocolates, and more! (Tickets – $50 value)
- Satisfaction of knowing you’ve contributed to the preservation of classic jazz in the Puget Sound area. (Also priceless)
The fifth annual Festival is presented by Burien Arts, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing affordable access to visual and performing arts in the Burien/Highline area, and by Landmark Event Center, a 1926 historic building overlooking Puget Sound. It is sponsored by Cedarbrook Lodge & Copperleaf Restaurant, 4Culture, SoKing Internet Radio, Robinson Newspapers, New Balance Chiropractic, Sterling Savings Bank, Hale Computers
The Landmark Event Center, is located at 23660 Marine View Drive South, Des Moines, WA 98198; www.landmarkeventcenter.com