LETTER: Luisa Bangs will file for Jeanette Burrage’s vacant city council seat

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a Letter to the Editor, written by a Reader. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Waterland Blog nor its staff:]

Because of recent events and after much consideration, I have decided to file for city council positon #2 which has been vacated by Jeanette Burrage. I realize the difficulties that former councilmember Burrage is currently dealing with and wish her well.

Knowing there is great potential in our community, I continue to believe we need to keep the city moving forward by supporting economic development, strengthening public safety and making sure city government is responsive to citizens needs and insuring our community is a great place to live, work & play.

– Luisa Bangs

Contact me at:

Email – [email protected]

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/luisa4desmoines

Friends of Luisa Bangs
PO Box 98259
Des Moines, WA 98198

[Have an opinion or concern you’d like to share with our Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, please remain civil and, pending our review, we’ll most likely publish it.]

13 Responses to “LETTER: Luisa Bangs will file for Jeanette Burrage’s vacant city council seat”
  1. BirchCreek says:

Two questions.
    1. What will be your stand on allowing developers to exceed the 35 foot tall building restrictions in Des Moines?
    2. Do you reside in Des Moines?
    Thanks and looking forward to your answers!

• EH says:

I hope she supports letting developers exceed the 35′ height limit on MVD. Its time to let downtown Des Moines grow and thrive. 35′ height limit is standing in our way!

Tell you what EH, how about we let a developer put a huge condo right next to your house!

2. DM Resident says:

Hey BirchCreek,

I’ll draw you a map to get out of town. If this City doesn’t allow reasonable development there ISN’T GOING TO BE A CITY!!! I hope they let downtown condos and business build up to 30 stories. Gee, give me a Columbia Tower downtown Des Moines.

Seems like I hit an nerve here with a simple question about the city code on the building height restrictions? Why the angry responses? Part of what draws people to Des Moines is that it has the feel of a small town. Yes there are economic challenges for the city, but to have the city council appear to give into developers is concerning. I would suggest that we could have a public vote on this issue to settle this issue clearly for the community.

• DM Resident says:

No nerve hit here, I’ve just been in this City a long time and I’ve heard the comments about maintaining a small town feel, don’t ruin our little community, we don’t want major development, etc. Well, many of our Councils of the past have bought into this line of thinking and that is exactly why our City is in the financial condition it is in while every city around us is booming. We can’t afford not to allow responsible development. To me, responsible development means developing the commercial districts such as the down town area and the Marina( I think this is all called the Marina District now). If we continue with the “small town” thinking we will become nothing more than the West Hill of Kent or north end of Federal Way. I’d like to keep my own city identification and do the right thing for the City. Just because a council allows development doesn’t mean they’ve given into developers, it means they’re looking to the future and the best interest of the City and citizens.

I think if people like you want a small town you should consider moving out of the Seattle metro area and consider some broke little town on the east side of the mountains that offers very minimal services. Nothing in the Seattle metro area is a small town any longer, you are living in the middle of 3 million others.

• Bob Sheckler says:

I could not agree with you more D.M. Well said.

Counsel-man Sheckler,
            Is it that you agree with DH that there has been a resistance to development in Des Moines, which I understand has been a historical issue? I believe that there needs to be development, but controlled development in appropriate areas of our city.
            Or are you agreeing with DH’s sentiments that “I’ll draw you a map to get out of town. … I hope they let downtown condos and business build up to 30 stories. Gee, give me a Columbia Tower downtown Des Moines.”?
            I was hoping for more civil discourse on this blog and the sharing of thoughts, opinions and ideas, even if we are not always in agreement. I hope that we citizen’s of Des Moines can look to a future of growth and development that is a win-win proposition for all of us.

• EH says:

Thank you for the reasonable response. Des Moines must grow, we do not have a choice. But we can grow responsibly with good Design Standards and sound land use planning.

• Dave Kaplan says:

BirchCreek, the 35′ height limit applies on Marine View Drive. The heights were raised a few years ago along parts of 7th Avenue by the City Council, and with lots of consideration and public input.

Thanks for the non-snarky reply Mayor Kaplan. I appreciate the information and civility of your reply.
          Can the 2 lane roads in and out of the Marina district and infrastructure support extensive development of the marina district?
          Thanks Mayor for the info.

3. Martin Metz says:

Is there really a need to build over the height of 2 or 3 stories in Des Moines right now? We have plenty of empty store fronts from Woodmont thru the downtown to the northern portion of the city. Surely we should look at developing these even if it means tearing down and building something more modern. In the future, perhaps along Pac Highway might be appropriate for future taller buildings rather than along the Marina or Marine View Drive. I think we have awhile to go for that.

Good point Martin. Our city has a blight of empty store fronts and run down businesses along Pacific Highway, as well in downtown. We should be thankful someone with creative energy and vision purchased the Des Moines Theatre building. Why this push to over build the Marina District and Marine View Drive? There does not seem to be the infrastructure and roadways to support too much development outside of Pac Highway and the newly developed business area north of 216th.
      I thinking that maybe the developers are wanting maximum $$$ for the size lots they have purchased to build on.
      But I would hope that the city council would put the good of the community above developers wishes and really focus on the gift of Pac Highway with its easy access to surrounding communities and I-5.