Des Moines Police Foundation’s ‘Shop with a Cop’ will be Wednesday, Dec. 16
The Des Moines Police Foundation will be holding its first-ever ‘Shop with a Cop’ on Wednesday, Dec. 16.
The Des Moines Police Foundation welcomes the opportunity to engage with every member of the community. In particular those underprivileged children who may not have the same opportunities and experiences of other children their age. Shop with a Cop is one of the ways we can provide a positive interaction between these children, their families, and law enforcement.
Through our Shop with a Cop Event, children in need are able to purchase gifts for Christmas, including one needed item for themselves (such as a coat, hat, clothing), as well as small gifts for other family members.
The goal of the event is to make the day an exciting one, starting off by picking children up in one of the Des Moines Police Department’s police vehicles and taking them (along with a parent or guardian) to Fred Meyers to select items for under their Christmas tree. Funding permitted, the participants will be provided with breakfast and volunteers will run a gift wrap station to ensure their items are ready to go for Christmas.
To nominate a child, submit a full application no later than December 1, 2015.
Letters of approval will be mailed to the address listed on this application.
- Any child age 15 and under on the shopping day is eligible to participate.
- The child must be present on the shopping day.
- Eligible children must reside full time within the City of Des Moines, WA.
- A parent or guardian must accompany children on the shopping day.
Application Requirements (download PDF application here):
- Your application must be filled out completely and include a valid telephone number.
- You must enclose a copy of Student’s free or reduced lunch notice from the Highline School District as proof of child’s residency and that the child attends a Des Moines school.
- How it Works:
- Children and parents/guardians are picked up and returned home in a marked Des Moines Police vehicle.
- During the shopping trip, children are accompanied by a representative of the Des Moines Police Department (generally a uniformed Des Moines Police Officer) and given an amount of money to spend.
- Children are encouraged to buy a needed item for themselves, such as a coat, hat, gloves, shoes, or sweatshirts/sweaters.
- Children are generally also able to buy a small gift item for other members of their family.
- The parent or guardian of the child is also accompanied by a representative from the Des Moines Police Department to shop for a gift for their child (One gift is purchased for each child).
- If funds allow, some parents are also able to shop for some food items.