Des Moines resident & house fire victim Frank Wegnzen could use some help
Des Moines resident Frank Wegnzen suffered from a house fire on Thursday, Jan. 7, and friends and neighbors are rallying to help lend a hand.
Frank is an elderly gentleman whose home on Marine View Drive near S. 244th Street caught fire earlier this week.
The fire was reported by a passerby just after 9:30 a.m., and was primarily on the front porch and rolled up into the eaves and siding. No one was injured and Mr, Wegnzen was home at the time. There was smoke damage throughout the home and some fire damage in one room.
An online fundraiser has been set up to help Frank here, with the goal of raising $5,000:
“The Red Cross will be able to help him out for a few days, but after that he might be put in a tough spot,” reads a statement. “He’s a sweet, solitary man with limited means.:
He also has other needs, according to Del Rivero:
“What he needs is a clean up crew! He also needs help with the fund a need so he can get some money for a dumpster and clean up costs. No fire insurance. He needs a roofer to secure against the rain and a electrician to make it safe to turn the power back on. I just went over there and had him gather up clothes so I could take them home and wash them. Thanks!”