The City of Des Moines is looking to hire a Recreation Facility Attendant I:
The pay is $9.50 to $13.00 per hour DOQ.
Hourly Extra-Hire Variable-Hour Part-time.
This position is not eligible for benefits such as retirement, paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, or health insurance.
Closing Date: Open Continuously
To Apply: Complete the online application at www.desmoineswa.applicantpro.com, and attach a resume and cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications for the position.
Status and Work Hours:
These are extra-hire positions with no benefits. Hours vary and include primarily late afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Generally, from October through May, the hours range from 0 to 15 per week; during the high season, June through September, the hours range from 20 to 40 per week.
Nature of Work:
The Recreation Attendant I works under the direction of the Recreation Coordinator, Events and Facilities Coordinator or designee to provide customer service, facility monitoring and security, and custodial/maintenance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists with patron use of the Department, City, and community facilities where Department programs and events are being held.
- Provides ongoing indoor/outdoor facility monitoring and security to minimize vandalism.
- Secures, closes and locks facility when event is complete.
- Assists facility users/staff with facility set-up and takedown, equipment checkout and inventory, lost and found, and general site supervision and security.
- Assists customers with requests and provides information, set up and tear down events.
- Attends to injury and incident victims, provides assistance and first aid when needed. Contacts appropriate emergency services (911) if needed.
- Accurately completes all City/Department forms for supervisory review and action.
- Assists the Park & Recreation staff with departmental projects as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative, effective working relationships with coworkers, other City employees, and the general public using principles of good customer service.
- Reports for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in high paced environment.
- Ability to deal with public with poise and tact in sometimes stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible and self-starting in work assigned for the event or shift.
- Ability to follow directions and work with other employees.
- Ability to read, interpret, direct, and follow rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards.
Education and Experience:
- High School graduate or GED preferred
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, set up tables and chairs, arrange room equipment, etc.
- Valid Washington Driver’s License with satisfactory driving record.
- Must obtain First Aid/CPR Card within three months of employment.
- Non-smoker; because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
- Employment is contingent upon passing a criminal history background check.
- Environment: Work location varies depending on facility rentals and scheduled events, usually work independently at multiple locations at various times.
- Physical Abilities: Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. in order to arrange tables, chairs and room equipment.
Hazards: Contact with dissatisfied or abusive individuals. Responsible for closing and locking facility alone at end of shift. Work will require the individual to use cleaning supplies at every shift.
- The City defines an “extra-hire employee” as one who is appointed to a position that is not eligible for benefits except those mandated by law or regulations, such as Social Security and workers’ compensation insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge, skills and abilities typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to balance the workload.
- The City of Des Moines is a drug-free, tobacco-free workplace.
- The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
[Would you like to have a Blogvertorial story, Ad and/or Event Listing like this on a popular, fast-growing website seen by over 51,000 interested Local Readers every month? Email us for more info, or check out our Advertise page!]