The Highline Schools Foundation’s annual ‘Gold Star Awards’ nominees were announced on Tuesday, March 8, and will be presented at their annual BASH on Thursday, March 17.
Each year, the Highline Schools Foundation solicits nominations from community members, district employees and parents for its prestigious and much-anticipated Gold Star Awards.
This year’s list of impressive nominees includes well-deserving teachers, staff, administrators and volunteers. Highline Schools Foundation congratulates them all, and looks forward to celebrating them at the Gold Star Awards BASH on St. Patrick’s Day.
And the 2016 Gold Star Award Nominees Are …
Gold Star Rookie Teacher of the Year:
- Meagan Fleming, Parkside Elementary, Teacher – Challenge, Grade 5
- Andrea Haisch, Marvista Elementary, Teacher – Kindergarten
- Casey Harney, Cedarhurst Elementary, Teacher – Grade 6
- Breanne Johnson, Marvista Elementary, Teacher – Kindergarten
- Judith Prado, Academy Of Citizenship & Empowerment, Teacher – World Languages/Spanish
- Sarah Semroc, Mount Rainier High School, Teacher – Language Arts
- Mohamad Shibly, Technology, Engineering & Communications High School, Teacher – Math
- Lisa Snyder, Marvista Elementary, Teacher – Grade 5
- Anna Webster-Stratton, Highline High School, Teacher – Language Arts
Outstanding Administrator Nominees:
- Susanne Jerde, Highline Public Schools, Chief Academic Officer
- Robin Lamoureux, Parkside Elementary, Principal
- Kyle Linman, Sylvester Middle School, Principal
- Roberta McFarland, Waskowitz, Principal/Director
- Nancy Melius, North Hill Elementary, Principal
Outstanding Classified Support Staff Nominees:
- Kirstie Allen, Technology, Engineering & Communications High School, Office Assistant
- Melanie Bowman Flores, McMicken Heights Elementary, Paraprofessional
- Esther Brodin, Parkside Elementary, Paraeducator-Bilingual
- Julie Burr, Highline Public Schools, Career Access Manager
- Linda Elmore, Bow Lake Elementary, Paraeducator
- Johnny Gannaw, Waskowitz, Success Dean
- Ila Hewitt, Global Connections High School, Paraeducator
- Chloe Hudson, Chinook Middle School, DHH Interpreter
- Dolly Knuth, Highline CHOICE Academy, Paraeducator
- Patty Swindle, North Hill Elementary, Paraeducator – Special Ed
- Vicki Treakle, Shorewood Elementary, Office Manager
Outstanding Teacher Nominees:
The Gold Star Outstanding Teacher will also represent the District as its Teacher of the Year in the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction sponsored regional contest.
- Jennevieve Acosta, Marvista Elementary, Teacher – EBC
- Aaron Aker, North Hill Elementary, Teacher – Grade 3/4
- Jessica Burtt, Gregory Heights Elementary, Teacher – Grade 1
- Jamie Clawson, North Hill Elementary, Teacher – Grade 3
- Thara Cooper, Parkside Elementary, Teacher – Music
- Sukhwinder Dhami, Global Connections High School, Teacher – Special Ed/ILC
- Emily Gunn, Bow Lake Elementary, Teacher – Kindergarten
- Heidi Jacobson-Beal, Beverly Park Elementary, Teacher – PE
- George Janecke, Gregory Heights Elementary, Teacher – Grade 4
- Derek Severson, Midway Elementary, Teacher – PE
- Lisa Shafer, Marvista Elementary, Teacher – Grade 5
- Alexandria Skagen, Madrona Elementary, Teacher – Grade 4
- Shane Stenesen, Highline High School, Teacher – Math
- Reid Sundblad, Chinook Middle School, Teacher – PE
- Dawn Tessandore, Highline High School, Teacher – Science
- Sara Ullmer, Highline High School, Teacher – Science
- Rodney Wallis, Mount Rainier High School, Teacher – Social Studies
Outstanding Volunteer Nominees:
- Elsa Benavides, Mount View Elementary, Classroom Volunteer
- Mike Doughty, Community Volunteer
- Kim English, Parkside Elementary, PTA President
- Jennifer Lucero, Gregory Heights Elementary, Volunteer
- Jill Mudge, Gregory Heights Elementary, PTSA
- Debbie Panks, Beverly Park Elementary, Volunteer Tutor
- April Swansiger, Volunteer/Violin Teacher
- Debra Thoma, Cedarhurst Elementary, Volunter
- Shane Vancamp, Hilltop Elementary, Volunteer
- Betsy Wells, Highline High School, College Access Now Volunteer
Gold Star Awards BASH! on St. Patrick’s Day!
The Gold Star Award WINNERS will be announced live Thursday, March 17th at the annual Gold Star Awards BASH!This red-carpet style event (21 and over) features a night of music, drinks, appetizers, and a LIVE announcement of the 2016 Gold Star Award winners. And this year, the fun will feature a special St. Patrick’s Day twist! You don’t want to miss it!
WHAT: Gold Star Awards BASH!
WHEN: Thursday, March 17, 2016, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
WHERE: Technology Access Foundation (TAF) Headquarters, 605 SW 108th St., Seattle
TICKETS: Just $20, and available here: www.highlineschoolsfoundation.org
Whether you are supporting a specific nominee or just want to be in on the fun and be the first to hear who wins, this is the night to celebrate all the outstanding Teachers, Volunteers, Alumni, Staff and Administrators of Highline Public Schools!
Drinks and light appetizers included for only $20!