Two teenage boys arrested in connection to recent fatal shooting in Des Moines

As we previously reported, on Friday (May 6, 2016) around 6:30 p.m., a 41-year old white male from Kent was shot and killed at an apartment complex in the 22800 block of 30th Ave S. in Des Moines.

A motive for the homicide has not yet been determined, but detectives believe there was some sort of confrontation between the victim and the two suspects prior to the shooting. The victim has not been formally identified by the King County Medical Examiner’s Office.

With the assistance of agents from the Seattle office of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms two suspects were arrested on Monday (May 9) in Des Moines. The firearm used in the homicide has been recovered. The firearm had been reported stolen to the Des Moines Police Department and had been taken during a residential burglary.

Police say that the victim does not have any connection to the apartment complex where this incident occurred. The two suspects do not live at the apartment complex and detectives believe they were there visiting friends.

The suspect that shot the victim is a 15-year old Des Moines resident. He was booked at the King County Youth Center for Investigation of Murder in the Second Degree, Theft of Firearm, Possession of a Stolen Firearm and Burglary in the First Degree.

The other suspect is a 14-year old Des Moines resident. He was booked at the King County Youth Center for Investigation of Burglary in the First Degree and Investigation of Possession of a Stolen Firearm.

Des Moines detectives are still interviewing witnesses and gathering additional evidence.

Comments

18 Responses to “Two teenage boys arrested in connection to recent fatal shooting in Des Moines”
  1. Cheri Phelps says:

Wow, David did not deserve this. such a horrible thing and these kids probably have no idea that they just left a daughter with no father and a grandchild with no grandpa.

• Brinda Phelps Garnett says:

My brother did not deserve to die this way. Where are thearents of these boys and why do they even have guns? Now there are 3 families in pain. His daughter is 6 months pregnant with his first grandchild and he will never get a chance to meet or even hold. As far as the suspects in this case, I hope they get the maximum possible sentenance, you want to do a big boy crime then you should do the big boy time. I want them to know that my brother David was an amazing person who was always making people laugh. I want to know what happened and why they felt like they had to shoot him? I have a lot of hate in my heart for them right now and I do not like feeling this way. I hope and pray that they get what they deserve and I hope for their sake that God forgives them for what they did.

• Darlene Tangedahl says:

Brinda, I am so sorry for your loss and for your daughter too. There is way too much of this going on lately. I agree with you if they want to do a big boy crime, they should do big boy time. Will keep your family in my prayers.

• Carol says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for your family. His poor daughter left without her father and she’s pregnant with a precious baby who will never know their grandpa. I’m sure he’s watching over you all. I hope those punks are charged as adults and your family can get some closure.

• Mm says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 22

2. Tanya says:

So sad my poor lil cousin Marisa.. Condolences for all their family

3. Char says:

OMG 14 and 15 years old, you’re kidding me?
    Just because they are young teens doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have to pay the price, of their actions. I am afraid they will only have to serve time until they turn 21, which would be a slap on the wrist. I hope they spend the rest of their lives in PRISON, where they belong!!
    They’ve changed lives of many by their stupid gangster actions. Dave did not deserve this, he can no longer feel the warmth of a hug, see the birth of his grand baby, Wish his mother a Happy Mother’s Day, or be with his sister, nieces, nephews, and close friends, for the holidays, so why should they?
    So heart breaking and wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Terrence says:

About time they finally got locked up!!! Ive known these two and I know for sure they are capable of doing something like this…sorry for your guys lost

4. Jim Florenson says:

And I hope that we stop coddling suspects and trying to physco analyze why the monsters did this, like the bleeding hearts that will come forward on here soon enough. They will blame the school, or the gun laws, or nothing for the kids to do etc… This type of criminal conduct (imho) is a result of us adults aka parents making excuses for children’s conduct as well as blaming authority when kids screw up instead of true consequences. I think you know what I mean. We and I say we have created the “all about me”
    generation. Rest in peace Dave..

5. Gregory says:

Great job to Des Moines police and detectives!

6. C.T. Stapher says:

I wonder who the loser and coward is that is voting down the posts of a grieving family. Shame.

7. Brenda Thomas says:

Wow now thats a dang shame!!!!! They definitely need to do the time they wanna go around and try and be tough or make a name for themselves on the streets…..Crazy David did not deserve any of this he was a nice guy!!!!!!!

8. LongtimerDesMoiner says:

Bad news you all, most likely the teen boys will be placed under supervision of the Juvenile DOC out of Renton that DOES NOT remotely care about doing their job. I am in the process of hashing out a problem encountered over the past three years with a specific DOC employee that because there are some accusations that may result in criminal allegations, I cannot discuss the details. However, I am speaking out and refuse to acquiesce to systematic failures of public servants who have a critical role in our society.

Trust that the KC Juvenile courts are not in the business to punish nor rehabilitate the youth in our society. I am willing to bet these teen boys were accused and reported about lesser crimes or had their behaviors called to attention well before now. DMPD/KC does not routinely process juveniles without first consulting with the KC Juvenile Justice Center on Alder. When the perpetrator is under the age of 16, even with a restraining order, it is nearly impossible to seek arrest or detention of the juvenile. You can easily confirm the information with the DMPD/KC officers, it is nearly script and not uncommon to be told that to see action taken against wayward juveniles, move to Pierce County.

I have the direct experience of witnessing excessive crime, including shootings from having lived in the 216th/30th neighborhood where these incidents are routine. For the past 15 years I have lived in the more restful area of this city. We all have a say so about this uptick in crime, that no doubt is related to the Federal Way/Burien/SeaTac/Tukwila corridor of youth violence. Please voice your concerns to the judges and commissioners of the juvenile courts. This is not anything that will go away until there is a core community support and intolerance of disfigured youth advocacy.

• CC says:

I’m saddened by the reality of your statement. You are absolutely correct and it is such a shame. I am also saddened by (what I’m sure will happen for theses juveniles defense) the fact that they will try to put the blame on the victim, as well as running his name in the ground because he is not here to defend himself. Makes me sick

9. This comment has been removed.

10. LongtimerDesMoiner says:

I find it ironic that the picture for this story is featuring slain officer Steve Underwood. The boy who murdered him was also a known offender in the community since his teens. The few years beforehand I was all too aware of the problems that Charles Champion had and the ilk that he ran around with. That was almost 20 years ago. Nothing has changed in the parts of our communities that need the most youth services and correction.