The City of Des Moines, along with Police Department, would like to remind everyone that the possession and use of “Fireworks” within the City limits of Des Moines is prohibited:
9.42.030 Fireworks Prohibited
Except as authorized by a permit for the public display of fireworks, as defined in RCW 70.77.160, or for religious purposes as authorized by RCW 70.77.311(2), no person, firm or corporation shall manufacture, possess, sell, store, ignite, explode or discharge any fireworks or firecrackers within the city limits of the city of Des Moines. The manufacture, possession, sale, discharge or storage of five pounds or more of fireworks or firecrackers is a misdemeanor. [Ord. 1537 § 1, 2012: Ord. 1362 § 3, As provided for in the Des Moines Municipal Code, any violation of this ordinance is subject to a $513 penalty and confiscation of the illegal “fireworks.”
(1) Unless otherwise noted, a violation or failure to comply with any part of this chapter is a class 1 civil infraction. Any person who violates any portion of this chapter shall be subject to having their fireworks confiscated as provided in RCW 70.77.435.
(2) A person is guilty of a separate offense for each action which violates any provision of, or any order, rule, or regulation made pursuant to, this chapter.
(3) Civil proceedings to enforce this chapter may be brought in the city of Des Moines municipal court or in the superior court for King County. [Ord. 1537 § 2, 2012: Ord. 1362 § 13, 2005.]
So…instead of risking the loss of any appendages (or tickets/fines), we encourage all to stay safe (and legal), and enjoy the FREE Fireworks Over Des Moines Celebration at the Des Moines Marina beginning around 10:15 p.m. on Monday, July 4th.
This annual all-day celebration is brought to you by Destination Des Moines:
Family Friendly Weekend of fun in celebration of the 4th of July Independence Day.
This is FREE event, but donations are gladly welcomed at all of the points of entry to the marina.
It takes over $40,000 in cash donations and in-kind service donations to make this event happen every year.
Monday, July 4th event schedule:
- All Day: Fishing Pier Closed for public use.
- Noon: Dock Street and Marina closed to traffic.
- 4PM: Barricades and Professional Staff checks at all Marina Entry Points
- 5PM: Beer/Wine Garden Opens with LIVE BANDS
- $10 entry fee to beer garden this year, details below
- 5PM: Food Trucks are Open for business
- 10:20PM: FIREWORKS!!
- 11PM: Beach Park closes
Keep in mind, any ADA vehicles or access vans will not be allowed to leave the marina floor until AFTER all foot traffic is cleared after the fireworks show.
NEW in 2016:
There will be a new Beer & Wine Garden VIP area located at the west edge of the marina parking lot by the fishing pier.
This area will be availabe for a $10 entry fee and includes:
Best seats in the house for the Fireworks Show
Live music starting at 5PM
Access to Food Trucks
1 Drink Ticket
DONATIONS: accepted all year and at the entry area to the marina. You can also help by buying tickets to the Community BBQ held on July 6th this year. Click HERE to see more info.
All bags, purses, strollers, coolers, etc will be checked at all points of entry to the marina by professional staff.
Please respect the following NO’s:
- No personal Fireworks
- No personal BBQ’s
- No bicycles, skateboards, or recreational wheels
- with the exception of ADA medical wheels
- No alcohol or drugs. It is illegal to smoke cannabis in public and therefore not allowed at the event.
- No pets (please leave your furry friends safely at home)
Absolutely bring your family, friends, lawn chairs, blankets, sunscreen, WATER, and smiling faces for a fun day in the sun!