Community meeting for Marina & Beach Park paid parking will be Wednesday

A community meeting for the proposed Marina & Beach Park paid parking program will be held from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 15 at the Des Moines Activity Center.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

More details here: http://www.desmoinesmarina.com/marina–beachpark-paid-parking.html

Here’s more from the city:

In response to direction from the Des Moines City Council, the staff has developed a plan for implementing and operating a pay parking system on the Marina floor and in the Des Moines Beach Park.  The Council’s goals are to implement a system that will increase security, reduce the illegal and inappropriate use of the parking lots in the Marina and Beach Park, and create a revenue stream.

The Marina staff set up this project web page to provide a place where stakeholders and interested parties can go to get information about the progress of the project.  The staff will post the current plan drawings plus any future revisions and also the schedule for public meetings related to the project.

WHEN: Wednesday February 15, 2017: 5:30pm – 6:30pm

WHERE: Des Moines Activity Center, ​2045 S 216th St., Des Moines, WA 98198

Frequently Asked Questions.

FAQ – Marina | Beach Park Paid Parking

Download File

Comments

12 Responses to “Community meeting for Marina & Beach Park paid parking will be Wednesday”
  1. MALCOLM BURN says:

We do not feel it is right to charge residents of Des Moines WA for parking at the Marina. This will only place undue burden on our retail stores and other residents near the Marina. We already pay for a yearly pass for our state parks. This is placing an additional burden on our family. Please reconsider as we are well aware we have a large retirement community in our city.
    Thank you for the consideration.

2. James says:

I guess I can skip my trips to your farmers market if I have to pay for parking too. I can head to Kent (on Saturday) or Burien (on Thursday). Free parking for both of those.

• Dave Kaplan says:

I guess that’s your choice, but if you actually buy something at the Farmers Market the market will validate up to two hours of your parking (i.e. – it’ll be free).

I thought it was a prepay system?

• James says:

These things never work out as you plan. You try to raise money by installing red light cameras. Burien removed their cameras because they cost more than they brought in.

This plan will discourage visitors and cost a lot in implementation and enforcement and in the end after exempting people with boats, people going to the restaurant and any other exemptions will be a net negative. I would think you would be smart enough to see that.

Didn’t the city of Des Moines recently bring in MILLIONS of dollars in construction sales tax on the warehouse and FAA offices? How much is enough??? This isn’t a game of Hungry Hungry Hippo.

• Dave Kaplan says:

Regarding the DM Creek Business Park … First, one-time money shouldn’t be paying for on-going expenses. That’s a lesson learned, and something I’ve been preaching for well over a decade. Second, it’s not “millions of dollars.” It’s a few hundred-thousand dollars, and that will go to one-time expenses such as capital projects or maintaining a healthy ending fund balance.

Regarding paid parking, when 70-80% of those visiting the marina don’t live in the City and get the use of it without paying for it, then it’s better to capture even some of their money to maintain that part of the City than not.

That may be so on the 70%-80% numbers, but for those of us who live in Des Moines, and pay taxes for our parks, why not give us parking passes? And, as an after thought, why does it matter that 70%-80% don’t live in our city? I’m thinking that they just might spend money in Des Moines.

3. Dylan says:

As a new Des Moines resident, I’m incredibly disappointed in this decision. The Park was one of the reasons I raved about this area. I will go ahead and pay the fee but many won’t and the diversity and community interactions the city should be embracing will suffer. The park will become a ghost town. Very sad and goes in line with short-term thinking I’ve seen from city officials so far.

4. Matt says:

Six months ago, I moved to a condo near the marina, in large part due to the fun, diverse, community atmosphere at the marina park. My wife and I love walking down there at 9pm and feeling happy and safe due to the number of people hanging out and enjoying the pier. Like Dylan, I am extremely disappointed in this decision, which will surely eliminate visitors from the park and Des Moines’ already-struggling downtown. Without visitors, will it really be any “safer”?

5. Katherine says:

I visit the park to run the trail and enjoy the view. I’ll just park at the top of the trail in SeaTac where the parking will be free. It’s more fun to finish my run at the bottom of the hill rather than the top, but whatever (shrug).
    Disportionately, this hurts the lower income people living in Des Moines since it is the only free public access to Puget Sound other than the boardwalk at Redondo. Yesterday – a lovely sunny day, the park was full of people enjoying the park, beach, pier and trail. The parking lots were full, lots of people from all backgrounds having a good time. People always weight the reward vs cost, if the cost is more than the perceived value they won’t (in this case) use the park, they’ll go some place else like Angle Lake in SeaTac.

6. Lucille Bredberg says:

I moved to Des Moines 19 years ago. During those years I had hoped to see the city progress with more businesses. It has’t happened. A friend tried running a business here for a few years but found the city was very difficult to work with, so closed it down. There is no help given to new business owners. The main street is a disaster. That empty theater is a real eyesore. No more clothing store, no more grocery. And now you say you are going to charge for parking at the marina. One more way to drive people away. Has it ever been considered that what we need to have a more aggressive city council?