Man who drowned off shores of Burien from Des Moines; more details released

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office on Monday (Jan. 22) released the identity of the man who tragically drowned off Burien’s Three Tree Point/Seahurst Park as Tyler Ingraham, 27, of Des Moines.

The Medical Examiner said that Ingraham died from drowning.

As The B-Town Blog reported, Ingraham’s body was recovered by the Coast Guard after the 15-foot paddleboat he was in with a woman from Vashon was beset by severe weather off the shores of Burien early Sunday morning, Jan. 21.

The woman was rescued from the capsized vessel, and was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where she is still listed in critical condition.

Police say that the two parked a car at Three Tree Point, and suspect that they may have “borrowed” a paddleboat from a nearby resident. Police add that they have not yet been able to find the boat’s owner yet.

Weather conditions were very rough at the time, with strong winds and high waves; according to the National Weather Service, winds were out of the south at around 21MPH, with gusts up to 36MPH at around 2/3 a.m. that morning.

“We have no idea what they were doing out,” Sgt. Cindi West of the King County Sheriff’s Office told The B-Town Blog. “The waves were high and the winds were too much for a small vessel.”

The Coast Guard received initial notification of the incident from King County Dispatch at 2:53 a.m. Sunday morning, reporting two individuals aboard a paddleboat potentially beset by weather. Sector personnel established communication with the mariners via cell phone and reported hearing a loud scream before losing connection.

Once on scene, the Coast Guard aircrew discovered the capsized vessel near Seahurst Park.

  • At 4:51 a.m., the aircrew located an unresponsive female in the water and vectored in a boat crew to rescue her. The crew transported her to the Fauntleroy Ferry dock where a local EMS crew was waiting.
  • At 5:02 a.m., Ingraham’s body was recovered by the helicopter crew and transported to Boeing airfield where he was pronounced dead by a local EMS crew at 5:38 a.m.

According to Ingraham’s Facebook page, he attended Tyee High School and lived in Des Moines.

Everyone at South King Media sends out their deepest condolences to all who knew Tyler, and our hopes and prayers are that the woman he was with has a quick and complete recovery.


2 Responses to “Man who drowned off shores of Burien from Des Moines; more details released”
  1. BirchCreek says:

    It is sad that the choice of stealing someone else boat lead to his death.

  2. Bob Stewart says:

    The Coast Guard’s response time on this incident is remarkable. The call came in around 3 am, and they had found and recovered the victims right around 5 am. With the waves and wind, the darkness, and the likely absence of any life saving gear on the people involved, this is a real accomplishment. The helicopter and its remote sensing gear are probably the reason. I hope the woman has recovered.

Share Your Opinion

By participating in our online comment system, you are agreeing to abide by the terms of our comment policy.

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!