Destination Des Moines and the Rotary Club of Des Moines & Normandy Park invite all to Run, Walk or Ride a Virtual 5K, 10K, Half Marathon or 1 Mile Course of your choosing anywhere in Des Moines or Normandy Park this 4th of July weekend.
“We encourage participants to proudly wear Red, White, and Blue, the colors of your country of origin, or the colors that represent you. Destination Des Moines and Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
“Be part of the celebration and help unite our great communities of people! All proceeds of this event support two local non-profit organizations: Destination Des Moines and Rotary Club of Des Moines/Normandy Park.”
Here are the Details:
WHEN: Saturday, July 4 through Sunday, July 5, 2020:
- Pick Your Time: Race any time!
WHERE: Pick Your Distance: You can run, walk, or bike a mile, 5k, 10k or a half marathon!
- Pick Your Place: What’s your favorite course? You get to pick your location!
ENTRY FEES (fees are the same for all distances):
- $10 Adults
- $5 Senior Citizens (65 and older)
- $5 Youth (under 18)
- $25 Family Team or Group (up to 4 Flags)
Scholarships Available (for families meeting free and reduced lunch program criteria).
REGISTER: Register online through July 4, 2020.
Every registered participant receives an American Flag, made in America.
Pre-Race: Pick up your Running of the Flags, American Flag (Swag) at one of the decorated Flag Stands listed below on Friday, July 3, 4:00 pm- 7:00 pm, or Saturday, July 4th, 8:00 am- 11:00 am.
- John L. Scott, 22506 Marine View Dr. S., Des Moines, WA 98198 (in front on Marine View Drive)
- Salon Michelle, 21923 Marine View Dr. S., Des Moines, WA 98198 (in parking lot)
- Farmers Insurance, 17824 1st Ave. S. #101, Burien, WA 98148 (in parking lot)
This is a virtual event. Everyone is welcome to join in. Run it. Walk it. Bike it. Race safely with your family, friends, baby strollers, and pets. Participate wherever you choose and whenever you choose on July 4th-July 5th! Race on a trail, through your neighborhood, take a walk along city sidewalks, or along the waterfront! However you wish to cross the finish line is okay with us! Create your own Running of the Flags Finish Line and share your memorable photographs on this site and to the Facebook pages for Destination Des Moines and Rotary Club of Des Moines/Normandy Park.
PHOTO & VIDEO CONTEST
Document your race with photos and videos that you can upload at either Destination Des Moines Facebook page or the Rotary Club of Des Moines/Normandy Park Facebook page.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Prizes (Gift Cards to great local restaurants and bragging rights) will be awarded for the most exciting, creative, and colorful race costumes and finish line photos and videos submitted by Race participants. Don’t miss out on the fun!
PHOTO CONTEST RULES & REGULATIONS
Contest entries must be appropriate for family audiences. Entry materials must be submitted no later than the end of the race at 11:59 pm, July 5, 2020. Submitted entry materials grants Destination Des Moines and Rotary Club of Des Moines/Normandy Park race officials permission to use your images and video on any platform. Contest winners will be decided at the sole discretion of the race officials. Items considered to contain obscene, indecent, or profane materials, and/or ridicule, exploit, or demean persons on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation will be removed at the sole discretion of the race officials.
Here are some of the ways the Running of the Flags benefits your community:
- Destination Des Moines presents community events such as Fireworks Over Des Moines, Waterland Festival and Parade, Waterland Wine and Art Walk, and Trick or Treat Path. Supports our Marina District and local small business development.
- Rotary Club of Des Moines/Normandy Park funds local and global charities such as Des Moines Area Food Bank, Highline Schools Foundation, Music 4 Life, and worldwide Polio Eradication. Presents the Poverty Bay Wine Festival and Poverty Bay Blues and Brews events.
- Don’t want to run, walk, or bike? Consider making a donation to support the work that Destination Des Moines and Rotary Club of Des Moines/Normandy Park are doing in our community.
Want to learn more about these two organizations? Check out their websites: