The Des Moines City Council has voted to formally reallocate funding previously set aside for the city’s 4th of July drone show, redirecting the money toward multiple community events throughout the year.

As we previously reported, the move follows the council’s Feb. 5 decision to cancel the 2026 drone show at the Des Moines Marina, citing rising costs.

In a followup announcement in the Feb. 13 City Manager’s Report, the city said the funding will instead support broader community programming based in part on feedback from the recent Community Enrichment Services survey.

According to the city, survey responses indicated a desire for more communitywide events throughout the year rather than a single large signature event.

The Fourth of July event cost more than $123,000 in 2025 and was almost entirely funded by the city’s lodging tax, which is collected on overnight stays in Des Moines. Lodging tax revenue is dedicated to community events, promotion and tourism.

However, the lodging tax is scheduled to decrease by 20 percent in 2026, reducing the amount available for this year’s drone show. City officials said the funding gap would have required additional support from the city’s general fund, which pays for staff and essential services.

The council determined that hosting multiple smaller events is a higher priority than continuing to fund one large scale event, according to the city’s statement.

The council has directed staff to explore the possibility of a scaled down Fourth of July event without a drone component while still providing a meaningful community celebration.

City staff will develop a proposal for how to use lodging tax dollars to fund multiple community events in 2026, which could include a modified Independence Day celebration.

Residents can view the Council’s discussion on this issue at the Feb. 5 Committee of the Whole meeting presentation or video below: